Monday, July 20, 2009

Odwalla Superfood for Lunch


Approximately three weeks ago I had my very first dress fitting. As I drove to the Priscilla of Boston in Tyson's Corner and parked in front of the Tiffany's - I imagined myself stopping there after the fitting to buy something beautiful that I could pass down to my daughter's and they could pass down to their daughter's. But let me stop right there - that's not what this story is all about. This story is about my dress not fitting properly.


Yes, at my very first dress fitting - where I was on cloud nine and couldn't wait to see MY dress, my very own dress...the dress was tight around the hips/thighs. At 5' 10" I had to get extra length, so the lady working on my alterations told me that we should focus our attention this fitting on making the dress the appropriate length. She also mentioned that most brides cry on their first fitting because the dress doesn't fit perfectly. As she told me this, my thoughts went back to the very petite (approximately 4'11" and 90 lbs) lady who took by measurements and said something along these lines, "you need to work on your hips, I'll write down one inch smaller on this chart to give you some motivation." Talk about stealing my joy after I found the perfect dress. I remember swallowing and taking a deep breath, then saying, is that easy to do? She said, "for you, no problem...10 pounds".


Fast forward to my dress fitting - I was so mad at that little lady and her tiny self - what does she know about thighs anyway? I can lose ten lbs quickly - but it all comes off my arms and stomach - the thighs are the LAST to go (a curse, I would say). After the dress I ordered did not fit, I started to dream about that second dress that I hadn't gotten and decided it was time to try it on again. This is something the folks that work at the store should not allow! Once a dress comes in for a bride - that's it - no trying on other dresses and then changing your mind. That dress of course fit perfectly which lead to 4 days of tossing and turning at nights trying to decide which dress to get. If I bought a whole new dress, I would forfeit my dress and lose the deposit - and then I would have to pay an additional $3k to have the new dress of my dreams. At the end of the day I rationalized with myself, "Self, you picked out that other dress first - don't be crazy and get this other one now, just get into shape for crying out loud!"


I happened to watch the movie Bride Wars a few days later - I know, I know, terrible movie - but if you are interested in watching all things wedding right now, it's filled with updated styles and fashions and it's pretty amusing at times. At one point in the movie, Kate Hudson is trying on a very pretty Vera Wang and the sales lady says something along the lines of you can't gain weight if you buy this dress - which kind of shocks Kate Hudson because why would a sales lady be so rude. She follows that up by saying, "You don't alter a Vera Wang to fit your body, you alter your body to fit a Vera Wang." Now, I didn't buy a Vera Wang - but as I was standing up there in my Melissa Sweet gown, I thought, if this gets altered too much, we will undoubtedly lose the beautiful shape and I can't have that. So, what did I do? I enrolled in yoga and boot camp - long and lean baby, that's the goal! I've been going for 3 weeks now and I'm already noticing a difference in my arms ( big deal).


My second dress fitting is on Wednesday and because of this, I am going to have Odwalla Superfood for lunch these next two days and try not to eat anything too salty which puffs me up. Silk chiffon is not forgiving if it's tight - it bunches in the front in a way that looks terrible!! And there isn't any fabric to work with here - she'd have to pull the gown up to get a little of the volume that is found lower in the dress (it's a very subtle trumpet fit). In doing so, I'm concered that, A) the dress will then be too short, B) the dress will lose it's beautiful, soft curved, long and flowing shape. Ugh.


Superfood it is. Cheers! (can't even believe I'm making an Odwalla pitch on my wedding blog - desperate times call for desperate measures...)


1 comment:

  1. That was so mean of her! She should know by now that all women are different sizes! I would be complaining to her management! You will look beautiful in your dress and will BLOW ADAM AWAY!! Love you lots you beautiful lady you! :)

    ReplyDelete