Friday, April 10, 2009

The Registry Dilemma

I've spent every night this week, approximately 3 hours per night, trying to decide on the 15 things that I finally have in my registry. That is pretty much an hour per thing. There are a couple of things at work against me...1) I'm using an online registry from wishpot.com that was appealing because I could shop wherever I wanted and all items could be stored in one location. However, there are two problems with this - first, if you have the opportunity to look at every website out there for the perfect duvet cover and you are me, you will spend 3 hours looking for a duvet cover. If you are limited to the one store you are registering at, you will probably just pick that thing and be done with the process.

I have now spent an insane amount of time looking at different types of silverware, not because I wanted to so much but because I thought I should since I have that capability from wishpot.com. Second issue is that I love Crate and Barrel and I can't seem to find a way to make Crate & Barrel get into my wishpot.com registry basket. It's supposed to be easy: you go to the website, pick the thing you want and then click on your little wishpot.com icon to capture that thing and it automatically asks you how many and you can add notes, etc. For some reason, wishpot.com does not like Crate and Barrel and will not allow me to have it.

I realize that I have now said 'thing' a billion times. That happens to be another issue. My fiance doesn't particular like things and stuff - so maybe I should just ask people to donate money to our honeymoon and fun trips that we could do if they'd like to get us gifts? The thing with that is neither of us really have any kitchen things, so I feel like we need a good foundation. Maybe it would just be easiest to go to a store and pick up things and put them in our registry?

What to do friends? Stay the course and continue the never ending, online hunt with wishpot.com? Or just pop by Macy's and Crate and Barrel this weekend and knock the whole thing out in one pop? Or just ask guests to donate to our honeymoon if they'd like to give us gifts and worry about things later?

Please help!!

5 comments:

  1. There is nothing more fun than going to Target and shooting everything you want. It's like very easy laser tag. Then Adam could register for a couple of video games and feel a little better about the conspicuous consumption aspect of the whole thing. Also, there will be certain people who will want to buy you something off your registry, and if you don't have a registry, you'll end up with doilies. Other people will just give you cash anyway. I think there's no controlling them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I vote against the honeymoon donations and for just picking a couple of stores and being done with it. You'll drive yourself crazy searching the internet high and wide for The Perfect Thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would say just register at a few stores! You will (like Kate said) still get a ton of gift cards and cash!) You will get that and still gifts! I think it is way easier to get what you want that way and not all the "extra stuff." I think the only thing extra I got was an apple slicer! HAHA! If I remember right I got over $400 gift cards just to Target and more to Macys plus gifts! If you decided that you really don't like the things that you registered for just return em and you get free money to the store to spend in anyway that you want! I spent the last of a gift card not to long ago and it has been over 1.5 years!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi!

    My name's Tom and I work at Wishpot. So sorry the browser button isn't working for you at Crate and Barrel! We've had some issues with certain sites recently. At Crate and Barrel, if you're using Internet Explorer, it's going to try and open in a new window, which may be blocked by certain pop-up blockers. In Firefox, everything will work the way it usually does, with a nice little floating window on top of what you're looking at.

    We're working on fixing this, but hopefully those workarounds will get you going again.

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Preppy Chic,

    I have been using wishpot for a few months and found it to be way easier than just going to Macys or Crate and Barrel direct. I would for sure keep using it as it saves time and can be used for other wishlists outside of your wedding registry.

    Congrats on the upcoming Wedding.

    Rick

    ReplyDelete